Monday, December 2, 2013

Have I Ever Mentioned...

... that cutting is my least favorite part of any sewing project? Whenever I start a new sewing project, be it a quilt, a costume, or clothing, I have to give myself a little pep talk to muster up the energy and patience to do all of the cutting. I'm not quite sure why it is that I dread cutting so much though I suppose part of it is fear that I'll mess up and ruin the fabric, though in all the years I've been sewing I've never had a cutting catastrophe that would warrant this lingering fear.

So now that Christmas is only 3 short weeks away (eep!) I figured I had better get my butt into gear and get started on the last few quilts I want to do for the holidays. The first one on my list is the quilt for my Mum. I'm doing the Pyramid Dance quilt from the September/October 2013 issue of Quilty. I had a couple of Christmas themed fat quarter bundles in my stash which was just enough for all of the pyramid blocks. I managed to squeeze in some quilting time on Wednesday between making food to take over to my Mum's on Thursday for Thanksgiving dinner and then finished up cutting the rest of the fat quarters last night.

It was a lot of cutting, and I grumbled my way through all of it, though it actually went a lot faster than I thought it would, and left me with enough from each fat quarter to possibly make the same quilt again, and a 6 inch or so strip of each print to maybe piece together a table runner. Maybe if I have enough time I'll whip that up for my Mum as well.

I started off with two stacks of 5 prints cut into 2 1/2" strips

And then cut them into rectangles and squares to piece the pyramids

I just love my little pink mouse pin cushion! The cats love him too and keep thinking he is one of their toys

As always I had a couple of my trusty assistants on hand to help me. Silas is always so interested in what I'm doing on the dining table

Severus decided to stop by and oversee my work too. He didn't seem too impressed

In between all the madness and fun of our trip to Iowa, two Thanksgiving meals, a thorough cleaning of the house, and sewing I was able to get all of our Christmas decorations up. Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year :o)







Unlike my Mum, I didn't quite achieve "Christmas threw up all over my house" status, which I think Kevin counts as a win. I guess I'll just have to try harder next year ;o) 

Hope you all had a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment