Friday, December 13, 2013

So sad...

It's heartbreaking whenever their is any kind of tragedy, but even more so when it involves children. For anyone who doesn't know already there has been a school shooting here in Colorado today at Arapahoe High School. There isn't a whole lot of information available right now other than two students were injured and are in the hospital, and the shooter took his own life.

I was a junior in high school when the Columbine shooting took place in April of 2009 and I remember how it rocked the nation, and especially the schools here in Colorado. To hear that this horror has been visited upon another school in our state seems somehow especially cruel.

My years in high school were by no means easy - I was a recent transplant from the UK and the only "goth" kid in my school for a couple years so to say I didn't fit in would be an understatement. I was teased often, and sometimes mercilessly. The memory of having food thrown at me during lunch still makes me cringe and feel sad for the lonely and insecure kid I was back then. But despite all that, I could never have imagined retaliating against my tormentors in a way such as so many of our youth now do. I can't imagine what they must be feeling or experiencing to feel like that is their only way out. It's just so sad, and at the same time so frustrating.

All of my thoughts are with the students and families of AHS. I hope that everyone holds their loved ones just a little tighter tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment