Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Spoiled Rotten

I'm spoiled rotten, of that there is no doubt, but this week I'm feeling even more spoiled than usual. My wonderful, amazing, super awesome fiancé just bought me my very first serger and I couldn't be more excited! 

I've been wanting a serger for several years but could never really validate spending that kind of money on yet another sewing machine (I already have two - a little Shark I got from Walmart/Target several years ago, and a fairly new Singer that I inherited from my mum a couple years ago when the bobbin winder on my Shark died). They're both great little machines and do pretty much everything I want them to, except create those beautiful finished edges you find on ready to wear pieces. For the longest time that was okay, until this year when I got this pattern for my Halloween costume and couldn't figure out what to do about all those edges. I could attempt to do a narrow hem, but how on earth would I tackle all of those corners without it looking like a total mess? So my options were to either leave the edges raw or pony up the cash and finally get a serger. This is where my aforementioned wonderful, amazing, super awesome fiancé steps in and saves the day by gifting me with a new machine. 

We found a Singer Pro Finish at one of our local Joann Fabric stores and took it home on Monday evening. Seeing as the next Serger 101 class wouldn't be until sometime next month and I wanted to use my new serger to finish up the Halloween costumes for my mum and myself, I spent the rest of the evening watching videos on YouTube learning as much as I could about how to thread my machine and how to do the couple stitches that I'm interested in doing right away. 

I got the chance to actually sit down and do some test, and "real", stitching with the machine last night and while it was terrifying, it was also very exciting. I did a few test runs on some scrap pieces and then finally serged my first seam on the skirt for my mum's Halloween costume. It's so beautiful!

Now I just need to finish edging my costume... oh boy, it's going to be a long night tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment