Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2013 Finishes Round-Up

Seeing as I was a bad monkey and didn't get any updates posted at the end of 2013 I figured I should take a moment to share some of the projects I managed to finish up in time for Christmas. The biggest (and longest) project was the Christmas quilt for my Mum that I had been working on for a while. Over the course of a couple of long days I was able to finish it up, and I have to say that I'm super thrilled with how it turned out.


Silas as always had to give his approval

The wonderful ladies at my LQS helped me pick out some adorable snowman fabric that made the perfect border and solved my no-Snowman problem.

I just *love* those snowmen!

I backed it with a beautiful snow white scroll-patterned minky that made it super cuddly and warm, not to mention, very heavy! My Mum is a wee little thing and is always cold so hopefully this will help to keep her cozy.

I was also able to finish up the table runner for Kevin's Dad and his wife. It came out quite cute, though perhaps a little simpler than I would have liked, but I think it's pretty cute and they liked it, which really is all that matters. 





All tied up and ready to be delivered :o)

I used a panel of Moonlight Serenade fabric I had in my stash that I think I inherited from my Mum for the top and pieced three fat quarters for the backing, and then trimmed it all with some red/burgundy binding. I used the gorgeous blue variegated Auriful thread for the quilting and did some simple straight line stitching around the graphic blocks. I was able to find some more of the fabric on Ebay as well as a ton of yardage of a coordinating fabric that is the same pattern as the little star blocks around the deer. My plan is to make matching pillow covers for them for Christmas this year, and maybe even some potholders or something if I have enough fabric. 

Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish the Blue Boy Blocks quilt I'm making for Kevin, which I kinda had a feeling was going to happen. So while I wasn't able to give him a quilt for Christmas he still got plenty of goodies from me and a bottle of his favorite whiskey from Santa :o) Again, the ladies at my LQS were very helpful and helped me pick out a couple of fabrics for borders on the BBB quilt. I've got one of them mostly sewn on and the other one cut and ready to sew. Hopefully once I have all the quilts done for the January birthdays I'll be able to set some time aside to finish it up. 

In the meantime I've been writing a list of all of the quilty/sewing projects I'd like to accomplish this year and have decided that as is my nature I am probably being more than a little over-ambitious. I stopped counting when I hit 20 items on my list and still had a lot more to go. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how many I get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment