Tuesday, January 7, 2014

First Finish of 2014!

Wow, I can't believe it's been almost a month since my last update! Bad Amber, bad!

I hope everyone out there in blog land had a wonderful Christmas and happy New Year. We had a lovely holiday with a full two weeks off from work (yay!) and lots of time spent with our friends and family. It was a wonderful break and I was very sad to go back to work. Add to that the fact that I caught a cold over the weekend and its easy to see why I've been more than a little lazy lately.

I am happy to say though that I have my first official finish of 2014 under my belt and we're only a week into the new year. Not too shabby if I do say so myself :o) I've got a couple projects in the works as birthday gifts for my Mum and my nieces, both of which unfortunately are going to be late. Poop.

So instead of doing some work on the lap quilt I'm making for my Mum for her birthday (which was the 5th, d'oh!) I decided to whip up a sweet little padded iPad sleeve for her, so I could at least give her something for her birthday, and hopefully she'll be able to use it when she heads off to the UK later this week to celebrate my nieces first birthday with them.





I combined a couple of tutorials from One Shabby Chick and Freckled Whimsy as a guide for the sleeve. It came together very easily and only took a couple of hours. I'm sure that with practice they would go together even quicker. The fabric I used for the pieced top and lining is from the Glimma collection by Lotta Jansdotter for Windham Fabrics that I was able to get as a fat quarter bundle.

I love how it turned out and definitely want to make a matching one for myself, though seeing as I have an Asus tablet with a keyboard rather than an iPad I'll have to tweak the dimensions a little. I'm also thinking that I'd like to make a more masculine version of the iPad sleeve for my Dad using the darker fabrics in the bundle, and if I have enough fabric left, I'd like to make a coordinating version of this notebook cover for Kevin.

So, one week into 2014 and I already have one finished project and another two (or technically three) underway. Not a bad start to the year :o)

And here is a sneak peak of one of the projects currently in progress. Can you guess what it is?


No comments:

Post a Comment